Est. in 2016 to Preserve & Protect the Historic homes of Woodwardville & Scenic Patuxent Road
Excerpted from Wikipedia, via the National Register of Historic Places:
“Woodwardville's development is directly related to the construction of the Baltimore & Potomac Railroad, initiated in 1867 and completed in 1872. This line later became part of the Pennsylvania Railroad system, and is now operated by Amtrak. A station, known as Patuxent, was established in 1872 and three years later, the name of Woodwardville was given to the emerging village when a post office opened in the Abram G. Woodward General Store. Woodward, a descendant of the prominent Woodward family in Maryland, served as a tobacco inspector in 1866-1867, a property assessor in 1876, and a census enumerator in 1880. He served as postmaster from 1875 until his death in 1906.
The village grew along Patuxent Road, paralleling the railroad and centered on the station, store, and Methodist Church. By 1878, the population of Woodwardville had grown to 50. The Maryland Directory of that year lists a machinist, shoemaker, blacksmith, wheelwright, miller, attorney, and physician in the town, in addition to A. G. Woodward as postmaster and seller of general merchandise. In 1879, Public School #8 was built near Patuxent Station, with William T. Anderson serving as the first school teacher.
In 1882, Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church South was dedicated. Today known as the Trinity United Methodist Church, it remains the centerpiece of the village. The general store, which unfortunately does not survive, was located on the west side of the road, just south of where 5th Avenue runs under the railroad track. The empty structure of the A.D. Riden Hardware Store and Office, a molded concrete block building built in the 1920s, still remains at the northern end of town.
The construction of Fort George G. Meade in 1917, west of Odenton, involved the usurping of farmland owned by many of the residents of Woodwardville. Furthermore, the siting of Fort Meade closed off the area between Woodwardville and Laurel, prompting the Pennsylvania Railroad to eventually close Patuxent Station. In 1927, the Woodwardville Post Office closed, after which the town became known as Patuxent. During the 1980s, at the behest of local residents, the town was renamed Woodwardville …
The architectural character of Woodwardville's surviving buildings, its setting, and physical arrangement evoke a palpable image of late-19th century rural villages that once were typical on the Anne Arundel County landscape. Of these, Woodwardville, Davidsonville, and Owensville are the only three surviving crossroads communities in the county that still retain a significant degree of architectural and historical integrity.”
Left side, gentleman is unknown. Right side, William and Elizabeth Anderson with their daughter Cora.
The Andersons of Woodwardville
The Andersons of Woodwardville standing in front of the front porch of the Providence Plantation Home circa 1890 to 1900, soon before the death of Hannah (Moler) Anderson (Mrs. William Thomas Anderson, Sr.), Mrs. DuLaney’s grandmother. This photograph is on the front cover of Mrs. DuLaney’s In Dogwood Blossoming Times…., and those shown were her parents and her aunts and uncles in her immediate family. They have all been identified by name in that booklet, as corrected in a subsequent annual newsletter of The Grassland Foundation, Inc. The home and most of the farm were sold following the death of Mrs. William Thomas Anderson, Sr., soon after 1900. The home survived in other ownership(s) until the post-World War II period.
Dr. Samuel Hall Anderson
Dr. Samuel Hall Anderson, the bachelor and Woodwardville physician who lived during his final years with Cousin Cora DuLaney’s Anderson parents in their final home at Woodwardville. Dr. Anderson was a son of Samuel Bealmear Anderson and Elizabeth (Hall) Anderson.
Cora Woodward Anderson-DuLaney
June 22 1887 - March 31 1981
The Original Anderson Homestead
Anderson-DuLaney House, Present Day
Anderson-DuLaney House, Present Day
Patuxent Train Station
Patuxent Station was located at Mile Post 116 on the Pennsylvania Railroad, Baltimore and Potomac Line.
Platform was located on Northbound side of rails, heading towards Baltimore, Station house was located on Southbound side heading towards Washington DC. The station house was of similar size and construction as the Frederick (MD) station.
Walter Crawford of Woodwardville
Historic Trinity United Methodist Church
Established in 1882, Trinity United Methodist Church has served as a spiritual touchstone of the community for over a century.
School House No. 8
A.D. Riden and Family
Ida Mary and Adam David Riden
Ida Mary, Pearl and Adam David Riden
Ida Mary and Pearl Riden
Ida Mary Riden
A. D. Riden House
A.D. Riden House in forefront, Trinity United Methodist Church in the background.
A. D. Riden Store
Riden Lumber Co. Employee
Riden General Store
Jacob and Bertha Meyer
Jacob and Bertha Meyer seated center, surrounded by family.